Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year To All My Flakey Friends

Last November, I was piddling around in my craft room trying to think of a project to take to a shoebox party.  I had several clear plastic box lids that were just dying to be turned into shakers and this was the result:

IMG_0671

The base is chipboard covered with cardstock and a smaller piece of decorative paper placed to be the backdrop of the shaker.   Layered over that on foam tape is my favorite snowman from Stampin Up. 

I turned the plastic lid upside down to fill it with a mixture of micro beads and fru fru*.  Then I carefully ran Sure Tac glue all around the edges of the lid making sure to leave no gaps for the beads to get out.  I pressed the chipboard backing onto the glue and let it dry before adding ribbon all the way around the box edge.

IMG_0672 I just love the depth and dimension achieved using the plastic lids!  Now, to go look for more!

Hugs, Suzanne

P.S.  The plastic lids were something I found in the bargain bin at Shipwreck beads.  I suspect that they were the top of a jewelry box of some kind.  Can you think of other great uses/reuses of packaging to make shakers?

* Fru fru is iridescent flakes that we sold once upon a time at Pennywise.

4 comments:

  1. What a cute and creative shaker! I so fit the term flaky! Yes, that is me, but in a fun way of course. Thanks for sharing your talents over the years with us Suzanne. Wishing you the beadie best in 2011. Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too! Very cute shaker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The snowman is so cute. I really like the paper, I like the blue and brown.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback is always welcome and appreciated! Thanks for visiting my blog!