Sunday, August 1, 2010

More Dollar Store Art

The gals in our Yahoo community are really taking up the challenge and creating great art from things that cost only one dollar!  You go girls!  I love all of the ideas and inspirations!

Laura Davis was first to share and her altered dollar store book is gorgeous!

Laura'sVictorianSpread

Michele Aiello Zendejas needed a thank you gift so she created these stunning notepads! 

Be sure to visit Michele’s blog to see lots more of her artwork!
http://www.atozdesigns.com/maz/

Evelyn Spikes made a special trip to the dollar store in search of things to play in our challenge and here is what she found:

Dollar Tree Finds

I was most intrigued by the candle holder in the back and I love what Evelyn did with it!

 

tealight evelyn 1000x740 

Look close up!  The bubble beads really add a layer of dimension!  And I imagine when the candle is lit that there could be some fun light play on them as well.

evelyncloseupcrop

The little white pails have been transformed! Dollar Tree mini pails crop

A close up view shows how Evelyn added the bubble beads to this project too:

mini pails closeup crop

Evelyn has a very active blog with lots of her other art postings!  http://www.beyondjustblackandwhite.blogspot.com

I dug up several things that were done in the past to share as well.

 

Annette Lanker got me totally addicted to these fun frames from the dollar store!Dollar Store Frame

Annette filled in the circles with a clear drying glue and added different colored (opaque) micro beads to each section.  Inside she put a sheet of O’So Sticky Tape and added a neat mosaic element to the tape before applying more coordinating micro beads:

Annette Lanker

Once upon a time a group of beadie buds took a day trip to Alaska for a shoebox party and oh what fun we had!  I wanted a special frame to commemorate that trip of a lifetime so I used Annette’s technique:

Suzanne Glazier

And here is another frame that I embellished for a swap I participated in:

 3 Frame   My 3 Frame

All three frames were painted over with white acrylic paint that was then colored with alcohol inks.

I love to show close up pictures so you can really see the detail better.  The suns were made using alcohol ink on flat glass pebbles glued to wire that had been curled.  There is a layer of clear embossed sun stamping on the frame that is really only visible in the upper left corner of this photo:

Sun

The surf frame was embossed with O’so Sticky Powder, micro beads and fru fru flakes.  It’s my favorite of the three!

Surf

The big embossed seashells don’t show well in this photo of the sand frame but there are there.  Over that I made a thick squiggle of Sure Tac Glue (it dries clear and I love it!)  I place the shells where I wanted them and then grouted the rest of the exposed glue with micro beads.  When it was dry I went over it with a bottle of alcohol ink, squeezing the color right from the bottle over the shells and beads.  I love how many of the shells natural colors and textures still showed so well after inking them brown!

Sand   

If you’re read this far you must be a dollar store addict and art junkie too!  Send me photos of your creations and I’ll share them here!   Email: suzanne@pennywisearts.com

1 comment:

  1. I just love all the alterations to the dollar store finds! How fun! There are so many fun finds at the dollar store and so much you can do! I really love the way Evelyn added dimension to her candle holder with the bubbles! The 3-D look of the bubbles must look great when the candles are lit.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback is always welcome and appreciated! Thanks for visiting my blog!