Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dominoes For Pins and Pendants

20090416_autumn_leaves Autumn is an exciting time!   I love the changing colors on the trees and getting my comfy sweaters and sweatshirts out of the back of my closet.  November always reminds me that the holidays are nearing and “Craft Season” is in full swing! 

Every year I vow to myself that I will have all of my gifts completed by Thanksgiving.  The times I’ve succeeded have been some of the most enjoyable and memorable holidays.  When I’ve achieved my Thanksgiving goal I’ve had more time to spend with friends and family.  I’ve felt relaxed, ready and open to more Christmas magic and spontaneity.  That in itself should be enough motivation but my “wonder woman” mentality still gets the best of me every couple of years and I procrastinate until the last minute.

This year, I need a plan.  Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away and I better get busy!  I’m thinking about making jewelry for the women on my gift list.  I have several (okay, quite a lot!) of the brad pendants ready to go and I would also like to do some domino pendants.  Below are some created by Evelyn Spikes.  Evelyn’s art is great inspiration!

evelyn_pendant_demo

Dominoes are an excellent stamping surface.  No bleaching is necessary when using Staz On or alcohol based inks or even the Adirondak markers from Ranger.  If you prefer to use colored pencils or Twinkling H2Os an overnight soak in bleach will insure success.  Rinse thoroughly with water and they are ready to go.

Here’s a pendant that I made several years ago.  (When my photography was way worse than it is now!)

Suzanne's Domino Necklace

I stamped the image (from Stampin Up!) with black Staz On ink and used the pad to color the sides and the back black.  The image was painted with Twinkling H2Os.  I used a clear sealer over the top to protect it from scratching.  Black micro beads were added around the edges with 1/4”  O’So Sticky Tape.

Pennywise Arts has gorgeous pre-drilled dominoes for handmade pins, pendants and ornaments.  The predrilled hole goes clear through and makes for a more secure and easy to assemble pendant or hanger for ornaments.  If the hole isn’t needed it can be quickly filled with spackle or white toothpaste or covered with micro beads or ribbon.

doms

Our drilled dominoes are brand new, standard full size dominoes. They measure 1" wide, 2" tall and 3/8" thick.  The hole is 1/8" in diameter.  They can be purchased on our website.  If you prefer to pay by credit card or money order just shoot me an email with your phone number and I’ll fix you up!

Tomorrow I will be posting Christmas ornaments made from dominos in our art swap on the Pennywise Yahoo Group!

Hugs, Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is always welcome and appreciated! Thanks for visiting my blog!